Dark times call for solidarity. Solidarity is an attitude of resistance.
It’s been a tough year, but the show must go on, literally and metaphorically.
In difficult times we start to question power structures, value systems, and the status quo.
Dead Darlings pose those questions at the best of times.
We invite you to put your art to work, in the service of your community.
Give a ‘dead darling’ up for auction.
Our auctions are anonymous, with the names of the makers only listed, and revealed immediately after the sale. With work by students and teaching staff alike, this adds suspense and makes the auction more fun!
How it works:
1) select your dead darling*
2) fill in our very simple form – by August 17th
3) bring the piece to school between the 15th and 20th of August
4) when the invitation for the public comes out, spread the news!
5) go online and start your own art collection – that’s a hot tip!
6) give the profit to the Berlage Fund or keep half if you need it
7) follow us @deaddarlingscollective and join us for future auctions
Everything: paintings, photos, sculptures, posters, videos, conceptual works, music, performance, text – you name it... and everyone – as long as you are graduating this year or teaching at the GRA is welcome to join!
All works begin at zero, the starting price is determined by the first bid.
Academie contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions for Dead Darlings: email@example.com
*What is a dead darling? Inspired by the phrase “kill your darlings”, an integral part of the artistic process. It’s work that an artist has created, yet has not been brought to light. Choose an artwork you “killed” but feel deserves a second chance ;-)